Tuesday, May 10, 2011

brownie pillow cookies...aka brookies

Photobucket

what's that you ask? It is...the perfect compromise, a midnight snack, a birthday treat, a tall glass of milk's best friend...a brownie...stuffed in a cookie.

I used Bakerella's famed recipe (found here) to make these monster cookies.

To make a batch of these for yourselves...you'll need:

1 package brownie mix (I used the guilt free ones from Trader Joe's--no one ever guesses)
1 cup butter, room temp
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups all purpose flower
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
miniature semi-sweet chocolate chips

Make brownies and let cool. Cut into 1 inch squares.

In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Add brown sugar and beat. Add eggs, yolk, and vanilla and beat until smooth.

In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add flour to wet ingredients and mix till combined. Stir in mini choco chips. Cover and let the dough chill for at least an hour. After it's chilled, it will be less sticky and much easier to work with.

Assembling your brookies:
I found it helpful to do a little hamburger assembly action. I like to smoosh the brownie a little bit...it gives more of a brownie layer than a brownie bite. Delicious either way you do it.

Photobucket

Close edges to make a cookie ball.
Photobucket

Tip: My first batch looked like an inverted thumbprint cookie. My boss (aka baker extraordinaire aka Asian Martha Stewart) advised me to freeze (or at least chill) the cookies in their assembled stage before baking...and success! Taking them from freezer to oven resulted in a more fluffy, pillow-esque cookie.

Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes and enjoy.
Photobucket

If you haven't before, check out Bakerella's website here for more recipes, pictures, and the most amazing cake pops ever.

P.s.: Need more cookie within a cookie, inception action? Take a look at these!

5 comments:

  1. I miss your baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness. I remember when J brought these home. They were enormous and so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite a bit of snack experimentation going on here. If I didn't know any better, I'd guess you were a stoner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUMMMMMMM My mouth is watering... I need some of these immediately- you can either ship them or hand deliver... it's up to you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @amy: I will bake for you anytime :)

    @erica: I know...I get batter happy and make them huge!

    @blim: haha! I do like me some snacks. But I hope our interactions confirm that I am not a pothead. :|

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...