Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Don Katsu Kimbap

Photobucket{kimbap--the perfect to-go meal/snack. made up of rice, veggies and different fillings all wrapped in seaweed)




My sister, Jane, and I have become regulars at this Kimbap fast food joint in the past few days. It makes for a convenient and delicious breakfast on our walk to the subway station in the mornings. Being the big kimbap enthusiast that I am, I was jazzed to see this particular restaurant made 10+ varieties (especially since I've only tried 2 kinds back home--beef and tempura). Anyway, I was and am intrigued and can't wait to try all the different variations. On today's menu was Don Katsu (fried pork cutlet) Kimbap. It contained:


Don Katsu, egg, ham, carrot, marinated spinach, gobo root, pickled radish, and sesame leaf (if you're wondering, you can find the more obscure ingredients at most Korean markets). What made this over the top amazing was that it had a thin layer of honey mustard sauce on it. Crazy good. I hope to do a kimbap tutorial when I get back, but in the meantime will report more kimbap findings as they come!

4 comments:

  1. Yum!! First off, I was just telling Danny that I needed to make Tonkatsu for him! My grandma used to always make Tonkatsu for my brother and I. Secondly, is that oshinko in there?!! I am obsessed with oshinko and am so sad that I can't get it out here. My grandma used to make them for me EVERY time I came over. Although Koreans probably have a different word for it... as I noticed you guys says Don Katsu and I say Tonkatsu :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And by *them* I mean oshinko rolls :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gah...that looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @brandi: What is oshinko? It might be in there! Whatever it was, it was delicious!
    @mifocals: t'was. I'm going to have to try and make these for you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...